Elder Michael Cevering

Elder Michael Cevering
Puerto Rico, San Juan Mission

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Email April 1, 2013

Hello Family! I don't have a lot of time right now to write because we're returning right now from our mission conference in Caguas. We went to the supposed temple grounds up in Aguas Buenas (good waters--an original name right?) and spent the night. It was cool. We slept on the hard tile floors with the geckos and lizards :) and I'm pretty sure there were some tarantulas around there somewhere. The conference was dedicated to discussing the resurrection and atonement of Christ and our need as a mission to become more purified through the atonement. It was cool. Both of our baptisms fell through: we were really disappointed. Maria Teresa--who is Pablo's wife--was sick and she couldn't be baptized because the baptismal water here is cold. And Edwin got really sick, so he couldn't come either. But we're already planning for the 13th. We can't do the baptisms this weekend because of conference. We're not supposed to do confirmations outside of sacrament meetings, so we have to wait to next week, which doesn't bother me. We have big plans for this month so I am excited :) We set about 10 baptismal dates between the 14th and the 20th, which is really exciting and has us really busy. I don't have a lot of time to expound on that, but let me tell you about the miracle we saw this past week. Milagros went back to the hospital this week to have five tests done. She was diagnosed two weeks ago with Ovarial Cancer. I read those previous results to her because they were in English. The papers from her previous tests said she had pelvic fluid flowing and the doctors were positive she had cancer there as well. So we gave her a blessing last Monday in preparation for her tests which were Wednesday. When we visited her Tuesday she told us that, immediately after we gave her the blessing, she felt she had angels hands on her head. She told us, "I AM going to be baptized, and when I am baptized I will bring my whole family with me." She even said, "The family of Juanita might be big, but my family is bigger. And I will be sure they follow in my footsteps." HA! Wow. I was blown away. But that's not all! She then went in for her five tests on Wednesday and FOUR of the five tests left negative for cancer. The test they did on her pelvis showed that there was no more flowing liquid (WHAT?) and that her cancer appeared less dangerous than before. She was so happy! They moved her from an emergency case to a less-catostrophic case, and they will begin her on Chemotherapy, but will operate on her in July, which was a proof that they aren't really worried about her. When we visited her Thursday she was talking to her friend about the blessing we gave her and inviting her to visit with us. She was testifying of the Spirit that we bring and of the help we can give her. It was really incredible! I know the power of the priesthood is real. In my Patriarchal Blessing it talks about that power. I have seen some incredible fulfillments of my Patriarchal Blessing since my mission began. I can't expound on them, but I will when I'm home. I would encourage everyone to get their Blessing if they haven't yet received it. I wish I had more time to tell of the things that have been happening. Just know that I am "suffering with joy" as President says. And I am so excited to watch conference this weekend. Missions are tough. But there really is happiness in the fruits of our labors. I love you all so much! Thanks for all your support! I miss you all! And guess what, I'm almost 20 years old. I'm getting old :) Elder Cevering

No comments:

Post a Comment